I have decided to post several of my practices for releasing negative energy. What follows is is a very brief introductory list that I will expand upon in the future.
There are super specific details in each practice that either make it work or not. Practices also require consistency, meaning it is important to try something and repeat it daily for a while. So set your pace and get going!
If you try something and want feedback, email me and let me know!
Empaths can absorb other people’s negative energy in three ways:
- Mentally – as in anxious thoughts
- Emotionally – as in heavy feelings
- Physically – as in physical pain or ailments
Some symptoms of a Powerhouse Empath processing negative energy:
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Digestive Issues
- Immune Issues
- Weight Issues
Practices to help release, and process other people’s pain (this also helps with your own stuck pain as well):
1. Turn your antennae on – notice how you feel after spending time with various people, or in various situations. Just paying more attention to how you are feeling and what your thoughts are and when. Notice patterns. This is a first important step.
2. Building intentions – fortify from within the belief that you do not want to suffer from other people’s pain. You may want to send them calming or healing energy instead, but you do not want to take in or absorb their pain or energy.
3. Create a conduit – find tricks and ways in which to release other people’s energy out of your mind/emotions/body. You can test various approaches and see what works for you. Regardless of what you choose, it is important to focus on the exact intention so that the exercise you are doing effectively releases any negative energy from your body/psyche.
4. Hard cardio – machines at the gym, running, uphill walking, jumping jacks, jump rope, punching bag, kickboxing – no less than 30 minutes but find the duration that works for you. Some folks need an hour or more.
5. Water – even a shower with the intention of washing off any negative energy can help. Being at the ocean, swimming, taking a bath with salts or soaking your feet with salt, all are powerful ways to remove negativity.
6. Nature nurture – this is my biggest one. I take hikes in a quiet local forest. Not many folks are there and it is peaceful. I find that redwood tree forests are the most powerful force for releasing my own negativity. See what part of nature works for you! The keys are that you don’t hear traffic and city noise. You go by yourself, or if you go with someone, don’t talk. You really have the intention of releasing negativity and truly absorb the silence and the healing energy of the nature. Mentally, if I have a problem, I will allow myself to repeat the problem over and over very intensely in my mind, if there is someone I need to have a difficult talk with I will repeat that talk over and over in my mind. By the end of my walk, I always have the perfect workable solution. If you do not live where you can access quiet nature, then try a reduced version. In other words, simply sitting in your backyard or on your porch or patio can work. You may need to amplify your intention.
8. Stretching & Yoga – can release a lot. Again done with intention. You can try a 10 minute stretching regimen at night before you go to bed. Concentrating on releasing negativity as you open up your joints and your muscles.
9. The Observer – for mental clearing this practice is by far the quickest way to achieve inner silence and clarity. The Observer is practiced by simply taking 5 min a day and repeating your thoughts back to yourself with absolutely no other commentary. This 5 minutes will lead you to be able to put it in practice when you have anxiety and stop the looping or run on thoughts. When that happens, you are also able to release more emotions.
10. Breathing technique – take deep fast breaths in thru your nose, focusing on your belly and then no effort on the exhale. Do this for up to 10 minutes but even 5 minutes would do a lot. A daily practice will eventually allow you to do it longer.
11. Filling your body with love – out of everything, love is the most powerful healing force. It takes patience and practice to move out of anxiety, worry and daily affairs, and simply focus on building love. You can either focus on love for each other, family, nature or the Divine. Build it, think about it, generate it – all day long. This creates the most powerful empathic ‘boundary’ that you could possibly need.
12. Saying No – for one week, just say no or, say, “Let me get back to you.” Make this your new practice. Notice when someone you are around is draining you, and if you can, leave their presence. If not, then figure out how to change the conversation or create a shift in the situation.
13. Hydrate – drink more water. When you notice that you feel more anxious or depressed, or even just tired, really increase your water intake. Water can be a powerful mover of negativity out of your body.
14. Bodywork & Healers – try acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, or other healing modalities.
15. Long distance driving – this may seem odd but there is something about movement and having your feet actually off the ground that can help release negativity. The driving should be relaxing. As much straight highway as possible, so you don’t feel anxious about traffic, etc. It should be at least an hour, but longer is better. It helps if you like to drive.
16. Leg opening – much of our energy flows down our bodies, through our legs and out of our feet. Those of you that have restless leg syndrome could quite possibly be filled with an overflow of other people’s pain. Using a roller or simply a rolling pin down your legs can help the energy release, and regain flow to bring you a lot of peace.
Moving more into a place of strength means that you begin to see exactly when you are taking on someone else’s pain. You can also gain a sense of control about when it is or is not your choice and how to release your own pain and suffering. Begin to intentionally work on these practices and watch to see which ones work for you and even develop your own. Take notes each day on how you feel and if anything helped.